[WSBAPT] Serving Notice of Hearing in Guardianship

Elizabeth Bateman Elizabeth at batemanlawgroup.com
Thu Mar 26 16:05:54 PDT 2020

I have never known missing family members to be an obstacle to getting a guardian appointed—that’s often why professional guardians are necessary.  The statute requires you provide notice to the last known address of children/spouse, if any, not that you locate them—I think you just do what you can.  If you’ve spent time trying to locate these family members to no avail, I think that’s exactly what you tell the Court.  I have never known the Court to require that notice be published, but I am not sure what County you are in.  In my mind it makes no sense to waste the AIP’s precious resources on publication for a family member that is not part of the individual’s life.

Elizabeth G. Bateman
Associate Attorney
Admitted in Washington and Minnesota
Bateman Law Group, PLLC
999 Third Ave., Suite 2525
Seattle, WA 98104
Tel: (206) 224-0900
Fax: (206) 467-8028
Website: www.batemanlawgroup.com<http://www.batemanlawgroup.com/>

This email is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 USC Sections 2510-2521 and is legally privileged. This information is confidential and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you think that you have received this email message in error, please notify the sender via email or by telephone at (206) 224-0900.