[WSBAPT] Governor's Stay Home order - EP as essential services?

Carmen Rowe carmen at gryphonlawgroup.com
Wed Mar 25 12:01:45 PDT 2020

Eric posted the following question:

"Does anyone know if there has been a petition to add estate planning to
the essential services list? I am doing EP for an emergency-room doctor and
I know there are several others doing similar work. But it seems there
should be, at the least, a listing of essential services such as "estate
planning legal services for persons in essential business services."
Ideally it would be just "estate planning legal services" without
restriction; after all, anyone could become ill."

I'm on digest and did not see a response other than the discussion on
notary - so if missed, my apologies up front.

I think attorneys as "essential services" is a much bigger question than
just EP; and it's been discussed fairly extensively on some solo/small
practice listserves I'm on.

The general consensus was that general attorney work remains essential,
even non-criminal work, as it reaches into all kinds of arenas that are
equally as important to the basics of life as estate planning, though
that's been most everyone's initial query. But others: addressing the
myriad issues in business/economic commerce as one example; potentially
losing rights in claims absent any legislative waiver of statutes of
limitations; the need for temporary or other emergency injunctions; family
law; etc. I could expand on the arguments supporting that conclusion but
figure most already can see them.

A from-the-side indicator that "life goes on" is that filings and such
continue with the court, and emergency orders, deadlines for statutes of
limitations, and other things requiring attention of legal counsel even in
civil litigation (hearings/trials are the only restrictions, there being of
course much more involved than hearings/trials - and of course the need to
prepare for the hearings/trials). Never mind criminal work, which would
arguably be considered "barred" if the rest is, as there isn't an exception
carved out of the order. Mediations are continuing. Depositions are
continuing. Per the terms of the order, single-owner lawfirms operating
remotely can continue under the general business provisions - hardly makes
sense to carve out only one type of legal firm. Etc.

In that vein, the Kitsap court asked the Supreme Court about clarification
on notary, and more generally legal services. The Chief Justice responded
that he considers all legal work to fall under "essential". But I don't
think that's clear from the language of the order, and an opinion in an
email is strongly persuasive but of course not formal.

So - as I understand it, that question has been submitted (I believe by the
Supremes themselves) for formal clarification.

There was also a common sentiment that declining to perform legal services
where there are active issues at play would be potential malpractice, as if
you're wrong, the client was jeopardized. Better to err on side of client
protection, I think, especially with such a strong argument about the
essential nature of services all attorneys perform.

There are other practical hurdles to overcome, notaries being a key one,
which are as discussed being addressed separately.

So - looks like there will be some formal clarification soon. I think it
will affirm the necessity of lawyers and other professional services
(including accounting) beyond the very limited exception identified in the
order. Hopefully. We should know here soon one way or the other.

Carmen Rowe, Attorney/Owner

Phone: (360) 669-3576 (direct cell)
Email:  Carmen at GryphonLawGroup.com

*Mailing address: *1673 S. Market Blvd. #202, Chehalis, WA 98532
*Olympia/Lacey office: *1415 College Street SE, Lacey, WA 98503
*Seattle office: *1001 4th Avenue, Suite 3200, Seattle, WA 98154

***SPECIAL NOTICE REGARDING OPERATIONS AND COVID-19: *

We see our community as working together to address this grave health
challenge. Our hearts go out to those who have been directly impacted, or
are weighted by concerns for themselves and their family members. We adhere
to the belief that voluntarily respecting the goal of absolute minimal
contact is the prudent and compassionate course.

Per governmental order and the practice of the courts, most activities
involved in our general practice are limited to those that can be performed
virtually without in-person contact. The nature of our practice lends
itself well to virtual operation. Our firm has always offered a wide range
of virtual options and we will be both using our existing systems and
exploring new ones in the continual effort to best serve our clients. We
are instituting these protocols for your safety and that of your family,
and our greater community.

For those with court actions, at this time the courts are operating under
significant restrictions. We anticipate that all proceedings we are
involved in will be done telephonically or some other virtual method. To
accommodate their limited operations the courts have temporarily suspended
any non-emergency hearings. That does not mean that we cannot further your
case, including the ability to continue activity outside court appearances.
We will advise you as we go as to how these would impact any particular
action.  We will help you best plot the course of your matter in the
current alternate reality.

As an example, in line with our goals of helping clients towards a
cooperative resolution as the ultimate positive outcome to any dispute
wherever possible, we have been in touch with mediators who provide
expanded virtual services so that the process of exploring resolution can
continue. We see this as an opportunity to help our clients (and indeed,
society) reflect and seek resolution while the usual course of litigation
pauses. Particularly in this time, we encourage you to consider this:
resolving the disputes that we can control will inevitably help heal the
impact of those challenges we cannot. That does not mean we will forgo
court action when helpful or necessary to a case; but resolution always
remains an option and there are the tools to help you towards that end.

For our small business clients, feel free to explore with us some
alternative approaches to your services that enable you to respond to the
current needs and limitations. We are not business development advisers,
but as a fellow small business are happy to support this community in any
way we can, including the sharing of ideas.

We are here to support you.

*Privileged and confidential: *This message is confidential. If you receive
this message in error, please let us