[WSBAPT] Rent Relief Requests - Response and Strategies

Marsha Hudson marsha at griffyn.us
Fri Mar 20 16:28:21 PDT 2020

My plartner is a commercial business owner as well, hearing the same from
his many tenants who have had to close.

I look forward to hearing what others have to say.

On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 4:22 PM Matt Yates <matt at yatesmarshall.com> wrote:

> We have had one commercial property owner client receive a request from a
> brewery/foodservice tenant for rent relief.  Tenant’s letter indicates that
> it is taking due diligence cost cutting measures to reduce its costs as low
> as possible but rent is obviously still a significant portion of monthly
> expenses.  Accordingly, since tenant is now effectively closed, it is
> asking for some rent relief to try to weather this storm.  Generally, I am
> advising my client to take a long term perspective even if that includes
> some short term shared pain.  We are having a call Monday to discuss
> specifics but one idea we are considering is an extension of the lease term
> by the equivalent of any months that rent is reduced.  Client also
> suggested trying to make up any current discount on later months which may
> or may not be a realistic option given a likely economic downturn.  Low
> hanging fruit is simply reducing rent but in these unusual circumstances
> I’m curious what objective ways there are to share the pain in an effort to
> get to a productive outcome.
>

> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/10000+NE+7th+Avenue,+Suite+200+%0D%0A+Vancouver,+WA+98685?entry=gmail&source=g>
>
> I presume that others have clients that are seeking advice on similar
> matters.  Would anyone care to respond with ideas or strategies?  Tenant
> and Landlord perspectives are welcome.
>

> Matthew D. Yates
>
> Attorney at Law
>
> Yates Marshall, PLLC
>
> 10000 NE 7th Avenue, Suite 200
> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/10000+NE+7th+Avenue,+Suite+200+%0D%0A+Vancouver,+WA+98685?entry=gmail&source=g>
>
> Vancouver, WA 98685
> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/10000+NE+7th+Avenue,+Suite+200+%0D%0A+Vancouver,+WA+98685?entry=gmail&source=g>
>
> Phone: (360) 449-6100
>
> Fax: (360) 449-6111
>
> matt at yatesmarshall.com (*New Email Address*)
>
> www.yatesmarshall.com

> others.***

Plese excus the brevite and any tipoes.  This emale was sent from Marsha's
stoopid iPhone.

Marsha C. Hudson Attorney at Law #23330
3221 NW 62nd St
Seattle, WA 98107
Telephone: 206-297-3933
Fax: 206-357-9356 marsha at griffyn.us Life's most persistent and urgent
question is: What are you doing for others? - Martin Luther King, Jr. This
e-mail may contain information that is protected by attorney-client, work
product and/or other privileges.  If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that any dissemination, use, or reliance upon its contents
is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please
contact me immediately and return the email by forwarding it to this office
at marsha at griffyn.us and then deleting the e-mail.