[WSBAPT] Filing Probate to Commence Personal Injury Action

Dalynne Singleton dalynne at glgmail.com
Tue Mar 17 10:11:49 PDT 2020

Jeff:

There is no limited probate for insurance purposes in Washington.  I tried this several years ago and the Commissioner told me--it is always a full probate in Washington.  I have seen other attorneys get away with opening estates but in my opinion, this is not proper but an unknown Pro Tem or newer Commissioner signs off.  I have opened more than 50 of these types of probates, served as the deceased defendant/plaintiff Administrator or assisted tort counsel and each one is a little different with contact with the family of decedent, whether someone steps up to serve as PR/Administrator or not, dealing with defense counsel and the insurer.

For most of them, no one wants anything to do with the probate especially if a statute of limitations is about to run - defense counsel would love to bring motion to dismiss if you don't do the probate and appoint the PR/Administrator who is served with the tort litigation.  I do my best diligence in serving as PR/Administrator and am always be honest with the Court about contact, good or bad, with the decedent's family.  If there is a Will, then you need to give notice; if there is a surviving spouse, then you need to give notice and hold a hearing.  You can obtain a waiver and consent for someone else to serve from the named PR or the widow to avoid notice of hearing.  But, sometimes you have to note the hearing, no one usually shows up, and the court grants your Order with non-intervention powers and no bond usually and the PR/Administrator moves forward with accepting service of the tort litigation complaint, amended as appropriate to name PR/Administrator.  Then, defense counsel is appointed by the insurance company and besides the statutory minimum work in probate, you wait until settlement/trial in tort litigation is accomplished.  Then, you close the estate like any other non-intervention probate.

Things I have learned over the years doing these deceased defendant/deceased plaintiff probates:

  *   Pierce County requires in person hearings for all new probates filed.
  *   Snohomish County is hit and miss with non-intervention or intervention powers.  One Commissioner who remains un-named, has been especially hard to deal with in these types of probates.  She has not been granting non-intervention powers which then require publishing in order to close the probate and a mandatory hearing as well which to me is not warranted.
  *   Have someone besides you handle the probate who has experience with these types of cases.  That person can contact the family, do the probate from beginning to end.  The PR/Administrator will then deal with the insurance carrier and defense counsel as they will be the defendant in the tort litigation.
  *   There is a two year statute in probate for creditor's claims BUT it is extended to a three year statute if you are only seeking liability insurance limits.
  *   If you are able to name a co-defendant in the tort litigation and serve the co-defendant, the statute is protected allowing for extra time to open the deceased co-defendant probate.

Give me a call if you wish to discuss the ins and outs further.

Dalynne Singleton
Gourley Law Group
Snohomish Escrow
The Exchange Connection
1002 10th Street / PO Box 1091
Snohomish, WA 98291
360.568.5065
360.329.4079
360.568.8092  fax
dalynne at glgmail.com<mailto:dalynne at glgmail.com>

LICENSED IN WASHINGTON AND OREGON
IMPORTANT/CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail message (and any attachments accompanying it) may contain confidential information, including information protected by attorney-client privilege. The information is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  Delivery of this message to anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is not intended to waive any privilege or otherwise detract from the confidentiality of the message.  If you are not the intended recipient, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, do not read, disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this transmission, rather, please promptly notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then destroy all copies of the message and its attachments, if any.