[WSBAPT] Future of Bar Exam - Off-Topic

Brent Williams-Ruth brent at williams-ruthlaw.com
Sat Jun 20 10:29:02 PDT 2020

Greetings RPPT Section Members:

Some of you may have seen that I am the Governor-Elect representing the 8th
Congressional District to the WSBA Board of Governors. I have had a
lifetime of serving in representative capacities and one of my fundamental
beliefs if that I will be serving on the BOG - not to further my own
opinions but to represent as much of the constituency as possible.

To that end - you may have seen the email forwarded from Governor Higginson
regarding diploma privilege. I believe that we may be entering into a
bigger discussion regarding the overall "fate" of the Bar Exam as it is
now.

I recently engaged in a public tweet exchange with two professors who make
the argument that the Bar Exam is nothing more than rote memorization and
not at all reflective on someone's ability to practice law.  This is
something that has given me great pause and reflection. I have posted a 10
minute video with questions and where my mind sit (primarily,
disagreement with the idea that we do not need to have basic fundamentals
memorized....I can't imagine I would get many clients if I did not know the
basic requirements of drafting a Will or distribution through intestate
succession).  Feel free to watch the video on my public Facebook page -
https://www.facebook.com/brent.j.ruth

You may also feel free to write me directly to this email -
brent at williams-ruthlaw.com

My call to service came from the amazing level of contribution and service
from this ListServ.  When I made the jump 5 years ago from being an
insurance coverage attorney to my own firm....this group of people have
stepped up to be the wisdom bank that helped me grow into where I am today.

I will say that as a Governor-Elect, I do not know ALL of what is going on
but given the present day climate, I do not believe that the question and
future of how we admit those to practice law in Washington will simply go
away.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Thank you for being a group of
professionals that has been willing to share knowledge, experience, war
stories, forms, and most importantly - YOUR TIME. I hope this will continue
as I begin my time on the BOG.

Thank you,

Brent

*Brent Williams-Ruth*
*Attorney-At-Law*

*Law Offices of Brent Williams-Ruth, a division of **BWR Consulting, PLLC*

Office/Scheduling Phone: (425) 830-5134

Direct Mobile: (206) 889-7919

e-mail <Brent at Williams-RuthLaw.com> / website
<http://www.Williams-RuthLaw.com/> / facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/bwrconsults> /

*As of July 1, 2019 - I began operating as the Law Offices of Brent
Williams-Ruth a division of BWR Consulting, PLLC. Please note the new
points of contact Brent at Williams-RuthLaw.com and www.Williams-RuthLaw.com
<http://www.Williams-RuthLaw.com> *