[WSBAPT] US child , foreign parents

Marcus Fry mfry at lyon-law.com
Thu Jun 11 08:32:50 PDT 2020

Karl:
Having done adoptions by non-US citizens here in the US, I can tell that is not the issue, and therefore, I would expect that this would hold true for a lesser status as guardian.  I believe this is more of an immigration question, because the law grants the rights to the parents to name the guardian for their child.  Isn’t the question what kind of visa (if eligible at all, but I expect there is something) would the child be eligible to receive to go live in Germany? Moreover, you make a good point about the logistics of a minor child here in the states, but that would likely just be making sure passports are up to date for the German family to be able to travel quickly to the states.

As an aside, does the child really want to go live in a completely different country?  If this event is happening, that means that child has lost both of his/her parents.  Sticking the child in a completely different culture that speaks a different language (I recognize English is very common in Germany) may be a lot for this child depending on his/her age.  Are there godparents to this child in the US that the child would rather be with to lessen the emotional impact of change?

Marcus J. Fry
Lyon, Weigand & Gustafson, P.S.
P.O. Box 1689
Yakima, Washington  98907