[WSBAPT] net estate?

Heather de Vrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Thu Jul 16 14:06:08 PDT 2020

I would argue the following:

a) you need a date of death valuation of the property as-is. It will set the tax basis for any later sale.
b) if the estate pays for the repairs, the beneficiaries, even of .1% of the estate should benefit from the increase in value those repairs produce.
c) if the spouse pays for the repairs, the estate shoudlcalculate the .1% beneficiaries distribution based on the value of the estate at death, with no reduction for the cost of the work, and no increase based on the increase in value because the repairs were done.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image005.jpg at 01D65B7A.3FA8E7A0]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>
Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

For the latest information regarding firm operations and to see precautions we are taking in light of the Coronavirus crisis please visit our firm’s website, www.WestSeattleLaw.com<http://www.WestSeattleLaw.com>.
If I am sick, I will stay home, I ask you to do the same.

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.