[WSBAPT] net estate?

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Thu Jul 16 13:38:06 PDT 2020

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA
___________________________________

I agree with Phil. If the estate is paying for the repairs, it doesn’t
matter.

But, if PR is paying for the repairs, it is important for the PR to
get the house appraised now, before she finishes all the repairs. Some
repairs or improvements increase the value of property dramatically
while others just make the real property more appealing and easier to
sell.  So, the investment she makes to improve repair/ improve the
property might be worth a lot more than a dollar for dollar
reimbursement.

Although appraisers can go back and try to figure out what a property
was worth before it was repaired and improved, their job is a lot
easier if they can appraise property in real time.  Also,  those 1%
heirs seem reasonable, but they might see things differently if she
puts in XX $$ of her own money, the place looks fabulous and can sell
for a lot more. There could be disagreement about whether a repair or
improvement is worth the cost of the repair, OR if the repair actually
added value beyond the cost of the repair.

Especially if she continues to live in the home. What if the furnace
stops working tomorrow or what if a pipe backs up and bursts?  The
home could not  be sold like that, and the house could be worth less
than when husband died, but should other heirs bear that loss?  Is
that something she should repair out of her own pocket or is that
attributable  to general condititon of disrepair at the time of death?

If home is appraised now, it eliminates future unfortunate events
complicating the situation.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000