[WSBAPT] Testamentary trust nuts & bolts

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Sat Jan 25 07:41:02 PST 2020

The answer depends on the purpose for which you are using the date.  If you want to tie the trust to the document that created it, then you would describe it as the credit shelter trust established under the will of John Doe dated ex ex ex. If you are applying for an EIN, you probably want to use the date the trust was funded and first started earning income.
Yes, the governing document is the will itself.  And always will be.
Phil Jones

Philip N. Jones
Duffy Kekel LLP
Portland, OR