[WSBAPT] Question about will signed in AZ for WA resident

Candace Wilkerson cwilkerson at wongfleming.com
Tue Apr 14 12:50:42 PDT 2020

Hi Listmates:

I don't know if there are any AZ practitioners out there, but I have an interesting situation.  My former client, who resided in Seattle, drafted a "do-it-yourself will" while visiting Arizona, where his father lived.  My client didn't bother to consult with me before doing the will, and had his sister (the sole will beneficiary for the residuary estate) as the only witness.  The will was notarized by an AZ notary.  My client died last year, and I told his sister that I didn't think the will would fly with the courts here.

However, I know that the WA courts will accept the will formalities of the jurisdiction in which the will was signed (AZ).  AZ also requires two witnesses to the will, and I just found out that my client had another witness to the will signing, but that she didn't sign as witness.  This witness would be willing to sign a declaration regarding the will.  However, although she wasn't listed as a beneficiary in the will, she is the one listed as "pet guardian" (with no funds appropriated to her).  She also was my severely physically disabled client's caregiver.

So here are my questions.  Assuming AZ law can apply here:

  1.  Can the notary also be considered a will witness in the State of AZ?  I researched it in WA a while back, and don't think the law was favorable, but it's been a while since I checked.
  2.  If the notary can be considered a witness, is there any prohibition to the caregiver acting as witness (as there would be for healthcare power of attorney in WA)?  And finally,
  3.  Does the same presumption regarding an "interested witness" apply in AZ that applies in WA, and if so, would someone who simply receives care of the decedent's pet without a monetary allowance be considered an "interested witness"?

I could simply try to probate the will under WA will requirements, and try to overcome the sister as "interested witness" presumption, if I thought WA would allow the notary to act as witness.

Any suggestions/opinions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Candace Wilkerson