[WSBAPT] Fw: Update to WSBA Members from Governor Paul Swegle

J A Cyphers jacyphers at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 09:38:03 PDT 2019

From: Paul S
Date: 9/25/2019 10:55:07 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:,
Subject: Update to WSBA Members from Governor Paul Swegle

This message reflects my own views and not those of the WSBA or the WSAB
Board of Governors.
If you received this email indirectly and wish to be on my email list,
concerned WSBA Members," email me at pswegle at gmail.com.

Hello fellow WSBA Members,

Sorry for my radio silence. We're getting through some litigation and
investigations because of our reform efforts, so I've been laying low on my
communications.

But things are very good at the WSBA!
Our interim Executive Director, Terra Nevitt, is doing a great job in my
view. As I see it, she has the trust, respect, and admiration of the Staff
and of the Board of Governors.

We're transitioning soon to WSBA President Rajeev Majumdar. Rajeev just
might be the best WSBA President ever! I could not be happier. Rajeev is
brilliant and he has a great vision for the WSBA.
The WSBA staff have gone through difficult changes, but they continue to
perform excellently and, as I see it, with a renewed focus on supporting
members. As one example, the staff are working on a project I'm a huge fan
of to help connect rural practitioners with attorneys interested in
developing or taking over rural practices. The staff are way out front on
this initiative!
The Sections are strong and I believe they are receiving excellent staff
support.
Structure Workgroup

Many of you know that I served on the Washington State Supreme Court's
Structure Workgroup," which considered, among other things, whether the WSBA
should remain an integrated bar or bifurcate into separate regulatory and
trade entities.

The Structure Workgroup report and minority report are each attached. Enjoy.

I sided with the majority report in not bifurcating the bar, among other
things, but I voted against (i) adding public members to the Board of
Governors and (ii) re-examining the WSBA "Governance Task Force Report and
Recommendations" dated June 2014.

We sent our Structure Workgroup recommendations to the Court a few months
ago.

This evening I received the attached letter from the Court, describing the
Court's actions on our recommendations. These actions of the Court were all
taken on 5 to 4 votes. This letter bears careful study by all WSBA members.

BOG Meeting

The BOG is meeting tomorrow and Friday at the WSBA's offices in Seattle.

First thing tomorrow morning, we will review and approve the 2020 budget.

Here's a link to the Agenda: https://www.wsba
org/docs/default-source/about-wsba/governance/bog-meeting-materials-2018-2019
sept2019bogmeetingagenda.pdf?sfvrsn=28040df1_11

Here's a link to the BOG meeting materials: http://www.wsba
org/docs/default-source/about-wsba/governance/bog-meeting-materials-2018-2019
sept2019bogmeetingmaterials.pdf?sfvrsn=1a040df1_15

Here's a link to late BOG meeting materials: https://www.wsba
org/docs/default-source/about-wsba/governance/bog-meeting-materials-2018-2019
board-of-governors-meeting-late-materials-sept.-26-27-2019
pdf?sfvrsn=f73d0df1_7

Instructions for public call-in: 866-577-9294, access code 52810#

Thank you for your interest in the WSBA!

Paul Swegle
Governor, District 7N
Immediate Past Chair, Corporate Counsel Section
Washington State Bar Association

Paul Swegle
General Counsel
(206) 300-7165

Startup GC Blog

Contract Drafting & Bear Spray - FieldGuide Podcast

Contract Drafting and Negotiation