[WSBAPT] Providing Client with word version of draft demand letters/estate planning documents

Setareh Mahmoodi mahmoodi.setareh at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 15:39:50 PDT 2019

I would welcome suggestions as I like a collaborative working relationship
with my clients. In fact heavy situations, that can be very helpful as they
know the facts best. They can either mark up a copy I send to them for
review (mailed or PDF) and/or type their suggestions in an email. But I
make it very clear that they are suggestions and subject to my approval. I
would say usually they don't have anything to add and in the off cases that
they do have markups,  in 99% of those cases I can explain why their
suggestion is not valid and/or should not be incorporated and they agree
after I explain it to them. I don't share EP documents in word.

I would not allow them to alter the word document or a letter that's to be
mailed on my letterhead and signed by me, thankfully I have not had a
client request this before. The only word documents I do share frequently
with clients are contracts I draft for my business clients. They often need
to edit the exhibits/work orders/rates etc and it makes their life easier.
However, I do make it very clear that they should not make any changes to
the actual contract and its content without discussing it with me first.

If your client is insisting on having the word document and wanting to make
changes without your approval, it may be best to just provide the content
in a word document (without your letterhead/signature) with a CYA letter as
suggested here detailing the issues and withdraw.

Good luck,

Setareh

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 2:17 PM Stephen A. Brandli <steve at brandlilaw.com>
wrote:

> Under RPC 1.2(a), I believe that the wording of a letter falls under the
> “means by which [the objectives of the representation] are to be pursued,”
> on which the attorney “shall consult with the client.”
>

> I have occasionally had a client who cares about the wording of the
> letter.  I have had to swallow my pride and consider whether the wording my
> client insisted on diminished the purpose of the letter in some way.  I
> consider myself a good letter-writer (perhaps without good cause?), and
> having a client work on my wording is a bit degrading.
>

> But I have never given up the word version.  I was asked once, and I
> simply told the client that I do not work that way.  If a client insisted,
> I would withdraw.  That’s my personal line, not one that is based on
> anything more than my own sense of self-worth.
>

> Someone who is more “adult” than I am may give the client the word
> version.  But I would suggest that the attorney scrutinize every change as
> the attorney would if the client made the suggestions for changes to the
> letter in an email or something.
>

>                 Steve

*Best regards, *

*Setareh Mahmoodi *

*Attorney at Law *

*18222 104th Ave NE, Suite 103*

*Bothell, WA 98011*

*Phone: 425-806-1500*

*Fax: 425-489-4142 (Please email documents if at all possible)*

*Email: SM at LawOfficesofSM.com*

*Website: **http://www.lawofficesofsm.com/ <http://www.lawofficesofsm.com/>*

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:* This email message and any attachments is a
transmission from the law firm and is intended for the recipient only.  It
may contain information that is confidential and legally protected by the
attorney-client, work product and/or other privileges.  If you are not the
designated or intended recipient, please destroy the message without
disclosing any of its contents and notify us immediately by reply email or
by calling (425) 806-1500.

Pursuant to U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, we are now required to
advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax
advice contained in this communication, including attachments and
enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for
the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal
Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party
any tax-related matters addressed herein.