[WSBAPT] 75-Year Old on SSI & COPES Gets PI Settlement

Amanda Proujan amanda.agplaw at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 12:38:34 PDT 2019

Listmates,

I need some suggestions for my client whose options aren't great.

   - 75-year old client
   - Been on SSI since 1990's, but has been in/out of mental hospitals
   since he was a teenager.
   - Received approx. $30,000 personal injury settlement ($ still in PI
   attorney's trust account)

Current Income/Benefits:

   - $587/mo SSI
   - $204/mo SSA
   - Medicaid/COPES - in home caregiver
   - Food Stamps
   - Subsidized Housing

He's too old for a traditional Special Needs Trust.  I thought about a
Pooled SNT, but apparently that will cause him to lose both his SSI income
and COPES for approx. 3 years.

My next thought was an ABLE Account (max $15,000/yr) if the PI attorney
will hold 1/2 funds in his trust account for 1 year.  *Besides the
$15,000/year maximum, my other concern with the ABLE account is proving the
onset of his disability was before age 26.  *Are some ABLE accounts easier
to enroll in than others?

This poor guy seems to fall through all the cracks.  Any suggestions or
ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.

- Amanda

--
Amanda G. Proujan, Attorney at Law
*Licensed in **Washington **and* *Oregon*
Email: amanda.agplaw at gmail.com
Web: *www.agplawoffice.com <http://www.agplawoffice.com>*

*This email message may contain privileged and/or confidential information
intended for the use of the person to whom it is addressed.  If the reader
of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee, or agent
responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby
communication in error, please notify us immediately at 360-998-3029, and
delete the original message.  Destroy or return any original copies to Law
Office of **Amanda G. Proujan, PLLC**, 1315 14th Avenue, Longview, WA
98632.*

DISCLAIMER - Contacting us does not create an attorney-client
relationship.  An attorney-client relationship is only created when a
written Retainer Agreement is signed by both the client and the
attorney.  Information
you obtain from us via telephone or email is not, nor is it intended to be,
legal advice unless an attorney-client relationship has already been
created.