[WSBAPT] Property chain of title for TODD

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Mon Oct 28 23:16:49 PDT 2019

  Sara
,
I agree with Michael that you would need a quitclaim deed although I’m
not sure if a court order saying the property is awarded to your
client would be enough.

I have never been in the situation were a client is wanting to do a
TODD without already having a quitclaim deed to the house in their
sole name. In my cases, I’ve had clients who have wanted to sell their
property or they’ve wanted to refinance their property a couple years
after the divorce. The awards of the real property to my clients were
crystal clear in the divorce decree. However, in my cases, the
selected lenders or the selected real estate agents refused to proceed
without both parties signing off on all docs (my client + the EX)
unless there was a quitclaim deed relinquishing all interest to my
clients.

 In each case where the ex spouse has refused to cooperate and execute
the quitclaim deed, we’ve had to approach the court and ask for the
appointment of special master to execute the quitclaim deed. It is a
fairly straightforward motion (in King County) which I filed in ex
parte but gave required notice to the other side.

I assume it is a lot easier to find people these days than it was in
the 1980’s. Some clients are reluctant to approach an EX after so many
years because the EX might start asserting a claim that’s not there.
If you make vigorous efforts to find the ex spouse to get them to sign
off on a quitclaim deed  but to no avail, that is evidence you can
provide to the court along with any other evidence to support your
position that the house was granted solely to your client without any
other obligation (like to pay off an equalizing judgment to the other,
to pay off other certain debt etc.).

Anyway, I’d be curious to see what steps you end up taking to secure a
quitclaim deed in your client’s sole name.  Please keep us posted.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101