[WSBAPT] interest of beneficiary of RLT after settlor dies

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Oct 18 11:28:00 PDT 2019

If I can rephrase the question to make sure I understand it: A Trustee is also beneficiary of a Trust that became irrevocable when the Trustor died. Distribution is supposed to happen but has not happened yet. If the Trustee dies, can the Trustee's Will direct disposition of his undistributed beneficial interest in the Trust?

Assuming that is the question, I think the answer is yes. I think it is true in general for all beneficial interest in the Trust, since the death of Trustor triggered a right to distribution: If a beneficiary has survived the Trustor, then her/his interest has vested. If the beneficiary then dies, that vested beneficial interest is part of the beneficiary's estate, and can pass under the beneficiary's Will or by intestacy if there is no Will.

The main quandary will be for the successor Trustee of the Trust, who needs to know definitively who is supposed to get the deceased beneficiary's share of the Trust. If the deceased beneficiary left a Will, then I think it needs to be probated so there is a PR to distribute to, or at the very least an adjudication of testacy needs to be entered per latter part of RCW 11.20.020(1)<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.20&full=true#11.20.020>, so the Trustee gets the protection afforded under the final paragraph of RCW 11.28.340<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.28.340> if the Trustee is going to distribute directly to the deceased beneficiary's beneficiaries.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen

SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC