[WSBAPT] interest of beneficiary of RLT after settlor dies

Doug Owens dougowens at seattlerelawyer.com
Fri Oct 18 08:58:55 PDT 2019

Dear Listmates, I have an interesting question.  A client is a beneficiary of an RLT as to which the settlor has died, and a sibling, also a beneficiary, is the trustee.  The trust has two pieces of real property that are the assets and specifies that the trustee beneficiary is to receive a distribution of one of the houses and the other house is to be distributed to the other beneficiaries when the settlor dies.  The settlor died three years ago, the trustee beneficiary lives in the house that was to belong to that beneficiary but has made no distributions.  My client wants to know whether, if the trustee beneficiary dies without having made a distribution, can the trustee beneficiary’s will pass the trustee beneficiary’s interest in the trust to the remaining siblings?  Thanks for  your thoughts.  Yours truly, Doug Owens