[WSBAPT] funding trust with nonprobate assets

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Thu Oct 17 14:04:20 PDT 2019

Because the assets are in the son's name now, I would set it up a gift transfer from brother to sister into a trust adopting SNT terms (so no Estate Recovery).  Had he not transferred the funds there could have been a TEDRA or even a disclaimer but, in my opinion, the gift option makes the most sense and actually creates potential pitfalls.  The gift will use about $10,000 of your client's Estate and Gift tax exemption if made all at once but in this day and age that's nothing.

Good luck.