[WSBAPT] Are signed redlined versions of will/powers of attorney valid?

Candace Wilkerson cwilkerson at wongfleming.com
Fri Oct 11 14:30:44 PDT 2019

Hi Listmates,

One more question for the day.  I have clients for whom I drafted estate planning documents, who signed outside my office (this was with my okay).  These include wills and powers of attorney.

They just sent me copies of the signed documents to make sure everything was done correctly, and I noticed that they printed the redlined version of the documents rather than the final version.  The documents are perfectly readable, just have a few underlined sentences (the redlining).  Otherwise, all of the documents were signed/witnessed/notarized correctly.  There are only a few redlined items in the documents.  Is there any reason to insist that they have these documents re-signed?  It was quite an ordeal for them to find witnesses and a notary as it was.  And the reason they didn't sign in my office is because they live some distance away.

Thanks,
Candace Wilkerson