[WSBAPT] Probate and child support DSHS lien

Dalynne Singleton dalynne at glgmail.com
Mon Oct 7 14:52:29 PDT 2019

I have dealt with this issue and my take is yes.
First, you have written to DSHS as part of the Estate pursuant to statute.
Second, DSHS sends a Notice of Lien.  You are obligated to pay once on notice.

I asked for a legal opinion on the matter from DSHS and received it, in writing.  If you would like a copy, please email me privately.

In my estate, I was glad to pay it as the estate was for the death of a minor child from the OSO landslide and the father had never paid child support.
Then, the father was going to receive monies from wrongful death/survival claims, sharing with the mother of the minor.
I paid the DSHS lien for child support first, then distributed the monies so the mother did receive back child support.

Dalynne Singleton

Gourley Law Group
Snohomish Escrow
The Exchange Connection
1002 10th Street / PO Box 1091
Snohomish, WA 98291

360.568.5065
360.329.4079
360.568.8092  fax
dalynne at glgmail.com<mailto:dalynne at glgmail.com>

LICENSED IN WASHINGTON AND OREGON
IMPORTANT/CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail message (and any attachments accompanying it) may contain confidential information, including information protected by attorney-client privilege. The information is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  Delivery of this message to anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is not intended to waive any privilege or otherwise detract from the confidentiality of the message.  If you are not the intended recipient, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, do not read, disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this transmission, rather, please promptly notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then destroy all copies of the message and its attachments, if any.