[WSBAPT] Estate bound to decedent's agreement to arbitrate

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Mon Nov 25 16:14:36 PST 2019

Amy-I think the Estate is generally bound by contracts signed by the decedent. RCW 4.20.046(1)<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=4.20.046>; RCW 11.48.090<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.48.090>. I think an arbitration clause in an otherwise binding contract would be included. Also, consider if the resident had filed suit during life and then passed away. In that case, the Estate would just substitute in under CR 25<https://www.courts.wa.gov/court_rules/pdf/CR/SUP_CR_25_00_00.pdf> and RCW 4.20.050<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=4.20.050>, which logically supports the idea that the Estate is bound by the arbitration clause.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC