[WSBAPT] Transfer of title question

Claudia A Gowan claudia at cagowanlaw.com
Thu May 2 15:12:10 PDT 2019

Colleagues:

I am opening a probate for two Florida decedents for the sole purpose of transferring title to their Washington real property to their Florida revocable trust. Pour over Wills are in place.

I ran into a glitch. The deed to the real property is in the names of both husband and wife. However, the wife's name is spelled differently on the deed (Katrina) vs her will and death certificate (Caterina).

I am concerned about the future consequences of the differing names for title purposes, e.g. should I get a court order through the petition to open probate clarifying the name? (The concern is that someday the family will want to sell the property, and I want to prevent any issues re clear title.)

Thanks very much for any insight into this odd dilemma.

Best, Claudia

Claudia A. Gowan

Claudia A. Gowan, PLLC
1001 Fourth Avenue, Suite 3200