[WSBAPT] Conditional gift?

Jen Doehne jdoehne at bgwp.net
Thu Mar 14 16:04:19 PDT 2019

Hi Adrienne,
Funny - I had a very similar client last year. I believe it's a bad idea. Consider: how would the Personal Representative prove how a beneficiary voted? This information cannot be legally obtained and is against public policy to do so.  Would a signed statement from the individual be enough to "prove" that they have never voted for a Republican? What happens if a beneficiary signs the statement and it is somehow later proven to be false? This would put the PR in a very tough spot.  It also seems to me that this could breed animosity between potential beneficiaries: what if some beneficiaries claim that another beneficiary is a member of the Republican party? Those accusing beneficiaries would share more of the pot, so it makes financial sense to bring this claim even if false because it can't be proven...

Re the college frat/sorority I am a little less concerned because I believe actual records and proof could be obtained...though it might be expensive and exhaustive for the PR.  Though, I would caution your clients to consider that there are educational (read: non social) frat/sororities... frats/sororities that you can only get into if you achieve a certain GPA or are in pursuit of a certain major.  You may need to walk through exactly what kind of frat/sorority your client is interested in prohibiting. Also...what happens if a beneficiary was a member for a small amount of time before quitting...? Are they still ineligible?

Just my thoughts...good luck!

Best wishes,

Jen
Jennifer Doehne, Attorney at Law, LL.M.
BEAN, GENTRY, WHEELER & PETERNELL, PLLC
910 Lakeridge Way SW
Olympia, Washington 98502
Phone: 360.357.2852  |  Fax: 360.786.6943
jdoehne at bgwp.net<mailto:jdoehne at bgwp.net>  | www.bgwp.net<http://www.bgwp.net/>

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CD1C79.4F5DF2B0]

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above.  This message may be an attorney-client communication and as such is PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, this serves as notice to you that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please delete the original message and any attachments, as well as all copies thereof, and notify us immediately.