[WSBAPT] Conditional gift?

Adrienne Keith Wills ak at keithlawandmediation.com
Thu Mar 14 15:40:28 PDT 2019

Hi Listmates:

I have a client who has some strongly-held beliefs and has expressed a
preliminary desire to make testamentary gifts to some nieces/nephews if
they've turned 25 and if all of the following are also true:  Recipient is
not a registered member of the Republican party, has never voted for a
Republican candidate, and has never been a member of a college
fraternity/sorority.

The conditions aren't to induce illegal behavior but I'm curious to get a
read on "rewarding" someone's voting choices.  The condition wouldn't
prevent someone from voting, and it would apply to votes that had occurred
at the time of the testator's death.

Thanks in advance, Adrienne

--

Adrienne Keith Wills, Attorney/Mediator

Helping family law and estate planning clients create their legacy

1700 Seventh Ave, Suite 2100 | Seattle, WA  98101

Web:   <http://www.adriennekeith.com/> www.AdrienneKeith.com | Tel.
<tel:%28206%29%20523-3047> (206) 523-3047 | Fax (206) 219-6714