[WSBAPT] Small Estate Affidavit and Retirement

Doug Schafer schafer at pobox.com
Wed Mar 6 14:51:35 PST 2019

I agree with Martin Silver. But if the retirement plan administrator will
disburse only to "estate of decedent", then deposit the check in your IOLTA
account for your client, endorsing it a "estate of decedent, by yourName,
attorney". The assets owned by a person at death constitute their "estate"
whether or not a probate case is opened and a PR is appointed. RCW Ch.
11.62 is for successors to property of "small estates," so implicitly an
"estate" exists whether or not a probate court case is commenced.

If the retirement plan administrator requires an EIN rather than a SSN,
consider using your law firm's EIN, then be sure to file a Form 1099
reporting that you were a nominee/middleman and that you paid the funds to
your client. see https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i1099gi (search for
"nominee/middleman").

Doug Schafer, in Tacoma.