[WSBAPT] Senior property tax exemption for 1/3rd ownership

David Moe davidmoe at maplevalleylaw.com
Mon Mar 4 12:34:06 PST 2019

About a year ago I called the King County Assessor for a client, a low-income retiree who had been living with and caring for her 90+ year old surviving parent for some years until his death.  She and her out-of-state sibling each stood to take a 50% tenancy-in-common interest per the trust.  She could not afford full RE taxes, let alone afford to buy out her sibling's share. The assessor's office staffer advised me their interpretation was that, at most, the sole-occupant 50% co-owner would receive 50% of the otherwise available exemption, notwithstanding her sole occupancy.  On my recommendation, the out-of-state sibling and the occupant sibling joined in a TEDRA providing that the occupant sibling would have an exclusive terminable life estate-terminable upon my client's discontinuance of occupancy as her primary personal residence or upon her decision to sell.  We then implemented the trust estate distribution by a deed implementing the TEDRA.  AFIK, this enabled my client to qualify for an unreduced low-income senior RE Tax exemption.
Dave Moe

David Moe Attorney, P.S.
Telephone:  425-432-1277
Fax:  425-432-1280
Address:
22128 SE 237th
Maple Valley, WA 98038

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:   This communication is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify this firm immediately by collect call (425)-432-1277, or by reply to this communication.