[WSBAPT] pension fund

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Thu Jul 25 00:06:28 PDT 2019

  Michael, if the retirement account is a qualified plan – like a
401(k), then it is governed by ERISA.

The last time I looked at the issue, ERISA required the plan
administrator to follow the designation made by the account holder.
You say that deceased  designated the trust as beneficiary, so under
federal law, it must be paid to the trust.

A couple cases you can look at are Egelhoff, 121 S. Ct. 1322 (2000),
and also Lundy, 187 Wn. App 948 (2015).   In Lundy, the surviving
partner sued the beneficiary after the funds were distributed by the
plan administrator. But, the Lundy court said “no can do”. So, if
there is another beneficiary other than the surviving spouse, you
would want to look at Lundy and other similar cases.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101