[WSBAPT] charitable bequest question

John Creahan john at cairn-law.com
Tue Jul 23 19:31:31 PDT 2019

Hi Sara,
In general a charity can enforce a donor's contractual obligation to make a donation but most charities don't. This sometimes comes up when a donor receives a benefit - such as getting something named after the donor - for a future gift.
In your case, I'm not sure that the fact that the charity "anticipates" receiving a donation obligates the donor to make a gift - particularly if the charity only intends to take action when it receives the donation.
I think it would be perfectly appropriate to include a sentence to the effect that the donor is under no obligation to make a gift depending on circumstances that arise between now and the donor's death.
Hope this helps,
John

John Creahan
www.cairn-law.com<http://www.cairn-law.com/>