[WSBAPT] Incorporation by Reference

Sara D. Longley sara at longley-law.pro
Wed Jul 3 11:32:36 PDT 2019

I read the Estate of Little case with interest, and my reading of it
indicates that the list must be in existence at the time the will is
executed.  If it is created or altered later, would that not fall outside
the statute?  (Of course the statute allowing for a tangible personal
property list states that such a list may be created or amended at any
time.)

Based on that case law, I would NOT allow my client to do this unless (1) I
see the list on or before the date the will is executed; and (2) I believe
the client understands the list cannot be amended later without execution of
a new will or codicil.

Best,

Sara

Sara D. Longley, J.D., LL.M.

LONGLEY LAW PLLC

1734 NW Market Street

Seattle, WA 98107

 <tel:%28206%29%20434-5644> (206) 434-5644

 <mailto:Sara at longley-law.pro> Sara at Longley-law.pro

 <http://www.longley-law.pro/> www.longley-law.pro

ATTENTION CLIENTS: I am in the process of merging my law firm into Ivy Law
Group, PLLC.  Over the next few months my web site will redirect to
www.ivylawgroup.com <http://www.ivylawgroup.com>  and I will begin emailing
from Sara at ivylawgroup.com <mailto:Sara at ivylawgroup.com> .  My existing email
address and telephone number will continue to function and my physical
office location will not change.  I look forward to serving you in the
coming years.

This email is intended only for the individual to whom it is addressed and
may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or exempt from
disclosure.  If you have received this message in error, please inform the
sender by telephone or reply email and delete this message and all
attachments.  Thank you.