[WSBAPT] Special Need Trust distribution toward mortgage

Robert R. Cole cole-gilday at stanwoodlaw.net
Wed Jan 9 12:27:16 PST 2019

Third party special needs trust established by Mom's Will for son.  Son
is disabled. He and his wife are living in C/P home with a large
mortgage in both names.  Son soon to be eligible for Medicaid (COPES),
so want to keep him eligible.  So, can the SNT make the mortgage
payment?  Does it matter if the home is conveyed to Wife? (H would still
be on mortgage.)  Can the SNT pay off the mortgage, in whole or in
part?    I am under the impression that a SNT could provide the down
payment for a house, or provide a paid for house, but could not pay rent
for an apartment.  I appreciate your insight/expertise.  Thanks.

--

Very Truly Yours,

Robert R. Cole

Law Office of Cole & Gilday, P.C.

10101 - 270th St. NW

Stanwood, WA 98292

(360) 629-2900 (Telephone)

(360) 629-0220 (Fax)

This message contains confidential and privileged information that is
intended only for the named recipient(s).Unless you are the named
recipient or authorized agent thereof, you are prohibited from reading,
copying, distributing or otherwise disseminating such information.If you
receive this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately.