[WSBAPT] Notice by Publication: Out-of-State Heirs with Unknown Addresses

Jake Seegmuller jake at nwlegacylaw.com
Wed Jan 9 12:24:43 PST 2019

Felicia, I know of the Norwegian case you're referring to, Hesthagen, which
involved the PR knowing of the heirs existence but claiming otherwise
during Probate. It's an interesting read!

The assets of the Decedent are held through a Trust, and the probate would
be opened to effect a transfer of title on a home to an heir and spouse
already on title (no financial investment on the part of the Decedent into
purchase/maintenance). So from the perspective of the client there is no
financial interest at stake (essentially taking steps a Title Company
should have undertaken at closing). The interest here is to satisfy RCW
11.28.237's notice requirements as practically as possible without knowing
details on the whereabouts of some heirs.

I agree that the standard here is high for a diligent search - thank you
all for the feedback on this idea and the suggestions for a search firm!

*Jakob O. Seegmuller *
Attorney
NW Legacy Law Center, P.S.
360-975-7770 | http://nwlegacylaw.com