[WSBAPT] Notice by Publication: Out-of-State Heirs with Unknown Addresses

Felicia Value felicia at skagitprobate.com
Wed Jan 9 11:27:42 PST 2019

Hi Jake-

The standard for a reasonable search for heirs is pretty high.  I can't
remember the name of the controlling case from the last time I had to
research it,  but it involved obscure Norwegian (?) cousins successfully
re-opening a probate because they hadn't received notice.  Clients often
don't want to hear this and I've been fired over it.   But I think in
this electronic age,  you need to really look.  Here's a company I've
used and been very happy with:  http://trustandestatesearch.com.

Good luck!

Felicia

On 1/9/2019 10:26 AM, Jake Seegmuller wrote:
> Dear Learned Listmates:
>
> We have a probate involving disparate family members without firm
> connections between them. Our clients do not know the exact addresses
> or contact information for several heirs outside the State and the
> relationship has been fraught for some time. In order to satisfy
> notice requirements, what is the best approach for providing notice to
> these distant relatives?
>
> Would notice by publication for three consecutive weeks in the widely
> circulated county/regional paper be sufficient or is a more thorough
> search for contact information required? (I'm looking to RCW
> 7.90.052(3) for some guidance on just what constitutes sufficient
> publication for an individual).
>
> Your insight is appreciated!
>

> *Jakob O. Seegmuller
> *