[WSBAPT] Notice by Publication: Out-of-State Heirs with Unknown Addresses

Jake Seegmuller jake at nwlegacylaw.com
Wed Jan 9 10:26:24 PST 2019

Dear Learned Listmates:

We have a probate involving disparate family members without firm
connections between them. Our clients do not know the exact addresses or
contact information for several heirs outside the State and the
relationship has been fraught for some time. In order to satisfy notice
requirements, what is the best approach for providing notice to these
distant relatives?

Would notice by publication for three consecutive weeks in the widely
circulated county/regional paper be sufficient or is a more thorough search
for contact information required? (I'm looking to RCW 7.90.052(3) for some
guidance on just what constitutes sufficient publication for an individual).

Your insight is appreciated!

*Jakob O. Seegmuller *
Attorney
NW Legacy Law Center, P.S.