[WSBAPT] Trust - QC Deed - Deceased Trustee

John McCrady j.mccrady at pstitle.com
Thu Aug 29 10:48:45 PDT 2019

Typically, the issue will be raised by the Title Company insuring the transaction.  We would request proof of the authority of the person claiming to be trustee.  ( a copy of the trust and any amendments, together with a declination to serve and death certificate for the original trustee, for instance)
The deed would state “John Smith, successor trustee of the Mabel Smith Living Trust dated January 1, 2001”.
We also hope for a recital on the deed setting forth the succession of trustees, if there is room.
There would be no need for a deed to the new trustee; the authority of the successor trustee is established by the terms of the trust instrument itself.

John McCrady
Counsel
Puget Sound Title Company
5350 Orchard Street West