[WSBAPT] claim of administrative expense

Mike Winslow mike at winslegal.com
Tue Apr 23 13:36:51 PDT 2019

I have an unusual situation regarding a post death claim on an estate. My
clients were the attorneys in fact for a party who then passed away.
Following his death, the AIF needed to locate the next of kin, then work
with that family member to arrange for the disposition of remains. The
funeral home was trying to force the AIF to advance funds out of their own
pocket to pay for their "standard" (read more expensive) cremation fee.
I advised the AIF regarding dealing with the family member and with the
funeral home, including obtaining from the funeral home a very reduced rate
for cremation, along with deferred payment. Spent about two hours of time on
all this. There was no access to cash at this point and AIF was greatly in
need of advice on the various issues.

The Estate is solvent and has assets. My fees were incurred post death, so I
believe would qualify as "administration expenses". 11.76. 110 and  150
seems to be about it. I found nothing in 11.40, 11.42 or 11.76 that gives
much guidance about how to submit a claim for post death expenses. WBSA
Probate Desk book does not address this (at least that I could find in
chapters 7 or 8).
I have ginned up a creditors claim, but called it a Claim for Administrative
Expense and intend to file with court and submit to the PR through their
attorney.
Thoughts or suggestions?

Michael A. Winslow
1204 Cleveland Ave.
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Ph. 360-336-3321
Em. Mike at winslegal.com

This message is from an attorney, so it's confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, it's too late to stop reading this message, but you may
not use it for any improper purpose. Huge Disclaimer available upon request.