[WSBAPT] Creating trust for disclaimed property

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Fri Oct 26 17:31:23 PDT 2018

Hi Randy,

First, are you certain the default in the Qualfied plan is the estate and not contractually another way.  Many times the default is a chain of family (surviving spouse, if any, if non surviving child(ren) etc).  So, if you haven't looked at the plan specifics that is where you will want to start.

If the default for the plan is the estate, the only option she has, if she insists it go into trust, is to accept.  She may want to accept in her name, accelerated the distribution on the amount, and give a gift net of taxes.  Or perhaps, she wants to take a wait and see approach, accept it as an inherited IRA, take RMD over her lifetime and each year make a gift as she seems fit.

Finally, although I am not sure a Plan Administrator or the IRA for that matter would follow the directive of a TEDRA setting up a trust for son, you might consider that avenue but son would have to sign off and agree to trust.  This would require disclosure of risk that the IRS, upon audit, has no obligation to be bound by the TEDRA.

All the best,

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe, Attorney at Law
Douglas * Eden