[WSBAPT] Guardianship for California Minor to Collect Inherited IRAs

JOHN J SULLIVAN sullaw at comcast.net
Tue Nov 27 17:25:38 PST 2018

Elizabeth:

I'm quite certain the WA court cannot exercise guardianship jurisdiction over a CA minor you would need a CA conservatorship.

But … the estate is being probated here. The owner of the IRA died resident of WA, right? What if you submit a judicial TEDRA  Agreement to the court here redirecting the distribution of the IRA? What if the TEDRA Agreement redirected it into a conduit trust (or some other workable alternative)? I'm guessing you would have to have the court here appoint a special representative or at least a GAL for the minor child. I do not believe the parents could virtually represent him in this case. But I don't see why you can't use TEDRA to solve your problem. I'm pretty sure this would fall within the definition contained in RCW 11.96A.030(2)(g):

"(g) With respect to any nonprobate asset, or with respect to any other asset or property interest passing at death, including joint tenancy property, property subject to a community property agreement, or assets subject to a pay on death or transfer on death designation:

(iv) The determination of any question arising in the administration under chapter 11.18 or 11.42 RCW of a nonprobate asset;
(v) The determination of any questions relating to the abatement, rights of creditors, or other matter relating to the administration, settlement, or final disposition of a nonprobate asset under this title;
(vi) The resolution of any matter referencing this chapter, including a determination of any questions relating to the ownership or distribution of an individual retirement account on the death of the spouse of the account holder as contemplated by RCW 6.15.020(6);
(vii) The resolution of any other matter that could affect the nonprobate asset."

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.96A.030

If that doesn't work, I can recommend a good attorney nearby in Walnut Creek, CA. Virginia George handled a conservatorship for a disabled beneficiary of a probate estate I handled up here and did a fine job. Contra Costa is the next county over from Alameda.

http://www.gsmattorneys.com/people/virginia-m-george/

Good luck!

Best regards,
JOHN J. SULLIVAN,
ATTORNEY

LYONS | SULLIVAN
10655 NE 4TH STREET, SUITE 704
BELLEVUE, WA 98004
425·451·2400 TEL 425-451-7385 FAX
WWW.DLJSLAW.COM

Confidentiality Notice
This email transmission is intended only for the addressee named above. It contains information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from use and disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure, copying, or dissemination of this transmission or the taking of any action in reliance on its contents or other use is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please destroy the original and notify us by telephone immediately. Thank you for your cooperation