[WSBAPT] Successor trustees - power to appoint

Randolph Petgrave RandGrave at msn.com
Thu Nov 8 12:01:32 PST 2018

Listmates,

If the trust document is silent on this issue, what power (if any) does a trustee have to appoint a successor trustee, if no successor is named in the trust document?

My client (mid 70s) is a trustee of a trust for her sister (early 60s).  Client is concerned about passing away before her sister and would like to have a successor trustee identified and standing by to take over if that happens.  The trust document does not identify a successor trustee nor specifically give my client the authority to appoint one.

What is the best way to handle this?

Regards,
Randy

Petgrave & Petgrave, PLLC