[WSBAPT] Rejected Creditor's Claim

Jane Bitz jbitz at whc-attorneys.com
Thu May 24 17:19:16 PDT 2018

Jeanne:

IF your investigation is merely to see if the estate has the resources to pay your claim and not doubts about the underlying validity of the claim, I would file the suit before the 30 days runs. If this is an insolvent estate with the chance that creditors will be taking a proportional share of their claimed debts, if I was representing a  competing creditor claim, I would assert the statute against you, even if the estate says they waived it for you to do a more thorough  investigation.

If the claim is doubtful, then I would only file the lawsuit after explaining to my client they could be paying your fees and the estate's attorney fees if the claim is not proved.
Jane.

Jane G Bitz
Of Counsel
Wolff, Hislop & Crockett, PLLC