[WSBAPT] Estate Planning/ Medicaid question

Ms. Roberta Armstrong robertaa at uw.edu
Mon Mar 12 16:24:13 PDT 2018

Ms. McCulloch, I wish to expand on your question...

Is there something Mom can do with the home now to prepare to make her
Medicaid qualified. I understand there is a 5-year look back, but couldn't
Mom try and place the home in a legal vehicle that would give the home to
the children (including repayment of their loans). Seems like that's the
only asset she has to leave for her children.

The 5-year look back makes it a gamble, but if she's in good health and
continues to be, she can document the loan as suggested by Mr. Fry AND have
a little something for the children upon her demise.

Very often the only asset my clients have is their home and they are
raising grandchildren as their own children and want desperately to make
sure their grandchildren have a home when they pass. I don't have a lot of
experience with Medicaid planning or irrevocable trust but would like to
understand more to help these families.

If anyone has a good reference they can share, I would greatly appreciate
it!!

Thank you in advance.

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 4:00 PM, Marcus Fry <mfry at lyon-law.com> wrote:

> My 2 cents: Your client needs to acknowledge in writing the debt to avoid
> statute of limitations issue.  I don’t see any issue is doing this in the
> promissory note.  You should also obtain bank records that document the
> loans, i.e., cancelled checks, bank statements showing wire transfers, etc.
> and I would attach them to the acknowledgement of debt/promissory note.
> This will help demonstrate that these were bona fide loans to her and
> expected to be repaid as opposed to gifts.   Of course, the aforementioned
> assumes that the kids did not consider these gifts, e.g., they did not file
> 709 returns stating that these funds were gifts.
>

> Marcus J. Fry
>
> Lyon, Weigand & Gustafson, P.S.
>
> *Confidentiality: *This e-mail transmission may contain information which
> is protected by attorney-client, work product and/or other privileges.  If
> you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
> disclosure, or taking of any action in reliance on the contents, is
> strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error,
> please contact us immediately and return the e-mail to us by choosing Reply
> (or the corresponding function on your e-mail system) and then deleting the
> e-mail.

*Creator of the first on-line Indian Will Production System - CHECK OUT *
*www.NativeWill.org* <http://www.nativewill.org/>

*Ms. Roberta Armstrong*

Washington State Bar Association No. 42343

Founder and Executive Director

Stewards of Indigenous Resources Endowment,

*a Non-Profit Professional Service Corporation               *

P O Box 2248

Yelm, WA  98597

425.737.5448 | Direct

866.227.6651 | Fax

Roberta at IndianWillsOnWheels.org
www.IndianWillsOnWheels.org

Please note that the contents of this e-mail message are confidential and
may be legally privileged, being intended for the named recipient.  Please
do not reproduce or transmit this message without permission of the
sender.  If you have received this message in error notify the sender to
inform them of the inadvertent mistake and then delete this message from
your computer and server. Thank you in advance for your adherence.