[WSBAPT] Estate Planning/ Medicaid question

Marcus Fry mfry at lyon-law.com
Mon Mar 12 16:00:15 PDT 2018

My 2 cents: Your client needs to acknowledge in writing the debt to avoid statute of limitations issue.  I don’t see any issue is doing this in the promissory note.  You should also obtain bank records that document the loans, i.e., cancelled checks, bank statements showing wire transfers, etc. and I would attach them to the acknowledgement of debt/promissory note.  This will help demonstrate that these were bona fide loans to her and expected to be repaid as opposed to gifts.   Of course, the aforementioned assumes that the kids did not consider these gifts, e.g., they did not file 709 returns stating that these funds were gifts.

Marcus J. Fry
Lyon, Weigand & Gustafson, P.S.