[WSBAPT] GAL needed?

Rob Wilson-Hoss rob at hctc.com
Thu Mar 1 09:59:57 PST 2018

Actually, that's a great question - what exactly does virtual representation mean? TEDRA uses it as if it were a well-understood concept, and it does give specific examples, but then it ends with,

(12) This section is intended to adopt the common law concept of virtual representation. This section supplements the common law relating to the doctrine of virtual representation and may not be construed as limiting the application of that common law doctrine.

Wash. Rev. Code Ann. § 11.96A.120 (West)

OK, so enter virtual /1 representation into your legal research search engine and see what you come up with in Washington. A good answer to the question is,

5 Hackler and Bacon illustrate that Washington recognizes what has been termed the virtual representation doctrine.12 This doctrine allows collateral estoppel to be used against a nonparty when the former adjudication involved a party with substantial identity of interests with the nonparty. Of course, such preclusion must be applied cautiously in order to insure **967 that the nonparty is not unjustly deprived of her day in court. Therefore, cases which have utilized the doctrine *521 have developed a number of factors which, in essence, insure that the nonparty has had a vicarious day in court.13

6 The primary factor to be considered is whether the nonparty in some way participated in the former adjudication, for instance as a witness.14 The issue must have been fully and fairly litigated at the former adjudication.15 That the evidence and testimony will be identical to that presented in the former adjudication is another important factor.16 Finally, there must be some sense that the separation of the suits was the product of some manipulation or tactical maneuvering, such as when the nonparty knowingly declined the opportunity to intervene but presents no valid reason for doing so.17

Garcia v. Wilson, 63 Wash. App. 516, 520–21, 820 P.2d 964, 966–67 (1991)

Then read .120 again. If you graft the doctrine's factors onto the text of .120, well, let's just say that "clarity" is not a word I would use.

Rob

Robert D. Wilson-Hoss
Hoss & Wilson-Hoss, LLP
236 West Birch Street
Shelton, WA 98584
360 426-2999

www.hossandwilson-hoss.com
rob at hctc.com

This message is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the addressee, you are hereby notified that any use, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or by telephone (call us collect at the number listed above) and immediately delete this message and any and all of its attachments.  Thank you.

This office does debt collection and this e-mail may be an attempt to collect a debt, Any information obtained will be used for that purpose.  To the extent the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (15 U.S.C. § 1692) applies this firm is acting as a debt collector for the condominium/homeowners' association named above to collect a debt owed to it. Any information obtained will be used for collection purposes. You have the right to seek advice of legal counsel.