[WSBAPT] Authority for Irrevocable Credit Trust

Philip N. Jones pjones at duffykekel.com
Thu Jun 7 11:51:56 PDT 2018

Thanks for those cites.  Very useful.  The cite about administering the trust solely in the interests of the beneficiaries is interesting, but in the Oregon version of the Uniform Trust Code other sections make it clear that the interests of the beneficiaries are not defined by the beneficiaries, but instead are defined by the terms of the trust.  So if the beneficiary wants to drive a Porsche, the terms of the trust might provide (or the trustee might apply the terms of the trust to provide) that the beneficiary will drive a Honda Fit.  I don't recall if the Washington statutes say the same thing.
This is not to say that the views of the beneficiary will be ignored.  It is to say that the trust governs, and the views of the beneficiary are secondary, at best, if the trust has relevant language.
Phil Jones
Portland, OR