[WSBAPT] Was a revocable living trust created?

Rod Harmon rodharmon at msn.com
Thu Jun 7 09:37:56 PDT 2018

Well, yes, “my heirs” is not the same as “my probate estate.”  But the statute doesn’t say “my probate estate.”  it says “the same person.”  The UTC comment gives “my probate estate” as an example of a remainder beneficiary that is really “the same person,” but gives no indication that that is the only possible way to break the merger rule.

Having said that, my reaction was like yours, that “my heirs” was sufficient to escape merger.  But the chief civil judge was very skeptical about that and has asked the parties for supplemental briefing.  And he got me thinking like this:  if the trust declaration just said: to myself in trust for the benefit of myself for life” without more, then I would have to say no trust was created.  But at the (intestate) trustor’s death, the trust assets would be distributed to his heirs.  So, how is that different from what the trust declaration directs?  It isn’t.  So, shouldn’t the same result be reached if the trust declaration says to distribute the trust assets to trustor’s heirs when he dies?

Since everybody dies, the trust assets have to go to someone other than the trustor when the trustor dies.  So, does that make it impossible to ever meet the “same person” criterion?

Rod Harmon

RODNEY T. HARMON
       Attorney at Law
         P.O. Box 1066