[WSBAPT] Lack of subscribing witness - TEDRAT

Josh Grant jgrant at accima.com
Thu Jul 12 11:20:11 PDT 2018

Thanks Eric!!

Joshua F. Grant

P. O. Box 619
Wilbur, WA 99185
509 647 5578

From: Eric Nelsen
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2018 4:45 PM
To: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] Lack of subscribing witness - TEDRAT

Josh--From Reutlinger's Law of Wills and Intestate Succession:

A codicil not only alters or amends a will, but it also republishes it. This brings the will up to the date of the codicil, for any purpose for which the date of the document is important, unless to do so would be contrary to the intent of the testator.137

137   Thomas E. Atkinson, Handbook of the Law of Wills 470-73 (2d ed. 1953); 2 Jeffrey A. Schoenblum, Page on the Law of Wills §23.11 (2003 & Supp. 2016); Restatement (Third) of Prop.: Wills & Other Donative Transfers §3.4 (1999).

The concept of incorporation by reference stands behind certain other doctrines in the law of wills, although this is not always readily apparent. For example, the theoretical reason that a codicil republishes a will, bringing the date of its execution down to that of the codicil, is that the codicil in effect incorporates the existing will by reference.

See RCW 11.12.255. I don't have a case for you, but I could argue that regardless of whether the Will itself is a valid Will, a later Codicil "republishes it" and also "incorporates it by reference" as a writing, which effectively brings its contents within the self-proving affidavit of the Codicil.

It's not a bulletproof argument but it's all I've got at the moment.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen

SAYRE LAW OFFICES, PLLC