[WSBAPT] POA Agent Designation made Contingent on Age?

Eric Reutter eric at lakehillsestateplanning.com
Tue Jul 10 07:39:59 PDT 2018

Hi all,

A client of mine recently had an interesting request. The client wanted to
name as the POA agent (for both the health care POA and financial POA) a
the client's child, but wanted to make that appointment contingent on that
child being age 21.

I have not used a contingent appointment in a POA before, as I usually tell
my clients to update their POAs when their  children become adults, if they
would like their children in the role of an agent.

For example:

*...my son, John Smith, as my attorney in fact for health care decisions...
provided that he has attained at least 21 years of age...*

*..if my son is unable, unwilling, unavailable, or under the age of 21,
then I designate Caleb Trask as my attorney in fact...*

I looked over RCW 11.125 a bit for the answer, and did not find a clear
answer to this issue.

I would be grateful for thoughts or experiences on this issue. If this type
of drafting is too creative or outside the statutory authority, then I will
simply recommend that they update the power of attorney once the son is age
21.

Best regards,

*Eric Reutter*
*J.D., LL.M. Taxation*
Lake Hills Estate Planning, PLLC
10900 NE 8th Street, Suite 1000
Bellevue, WA 98004
www.lakehillsestateplanning.com
(425) 298-5895

*This e-mail and the attachments within is covered by the
Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. secs. 2510-2521, and is
legally privileged and confidential. This communication may also be
protected by attorney-client privilege, the work product doctrine or other
applicable legal protections. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, the reader is hereby notified that
any unauthorized review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the