[WSBAPT] Nonprobate Transfer of LLC Interest in an Operating Agreement

Eric Reutter eric at tnguyenlaw.com
Thu Jan 25 10:47:33 PST 2018

Hi all,

Fairly quick question here regarding transfer of an LLC interest:

*If an LLC Operating Agreement has appropriate language designating a
transfer of the interest to another party, will that language effectuate a
nonprobate transfer of the LLC interest? If so, what statute or case law in
Washington do we rely on for the validity of this transfer?*

For example, assume an individual is a sole member of an LLC and had a
provision similar to the following:

*Sole Member designates* the following transfer-on-death beneficiaries to
acquire, upon Sole Member’s death, Sole Member’s entire Interest existing
at the time of Sole Member’s death: [John Doe of Bellingham, WA]

Although I have found supporting authority for this nonprobate transfer
language in other states and in national publications, I have not found a
clear Washington statute or case law that directly addresses this. For
example, the Uniform Probate Code, Section 6-101 typically authorizes such
a disposition, but I do not believe that Washington directly adopted
Section 6-101. Also, the Florida case of Blechmen v. Estate of Blechmen
clarified this nonprobate transfer issue nicely in Florida, but I have not
found a similar Washington case.

I also found a national law article ("Issues Arising upon the Death of the
Sole Member of a Single-Member LLC" from the Marquette Law Review) that
explained that "No express provision of the Uniform LLC Acts or typical
state LLC statutes forbids the use of transfer-on-death provisions in an
LLC operating agreement. Consequently, as long as the member complies with
the jurisdiction’s transfer-on-death statute, no barrier seemingly exists
to this technique."

I would be grateful for a quick citation to the statue or case law we rely
on in Washington for a nonprobate transfer of an LLC interest in an
Operating Agreement.

Best regards,

*Eric Reutter, J.D., LL.M.*
*Law Office of Theresa Nguyen, PLLC*
707 S Grady Way, Suite 600 | Renton, WA 98057
Ph. *425.998.7295 <(425)%20998-7295>* | Fax *425.420.2695
<(425)%20420-2695>*
*www.tnguyenlaw.com <http://www.tnguyenlaw.com/>* | *eric at tnguyenlaw.com
<theresa at tnguyenlaw.com> *

This e-mail and the attachments within is covered by the
Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. secs. 2510-2521, and is
legally privileged and confidential. This communication may also be
protected by attorney-client privilege, the work product doctrine or other
applicable legal protections. If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient, the reader is hereby notified that any unauthorized
review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly
sender by reply e-mail or call the sender at 425.998.7295
<(425)%20998-7295> and destroy
all copies of the original message.