[WSBAPT] Can Notary Serve as Witness?

Felicia Value felicia at skagitprobate.com
Thu Jan 11 13:22:03 PST 2018

Colleagues -

I sent Washington estate planning documetns to a client who is a
Washington resident presently staying in Florida.  He just emailed me
saying they're all executed,  and btw did I know that Florida law allows
a notary to serve as a witness?

I've asked my client if indeed the notary acted as both witness and notary.

Among other documents,  the notary would have notarized his or her own
Affidavit of Attesting Witnesses.  On other documetns the notary would
have signed as a witness and then notarized client's signature.

This won't fly in Washington,  will it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

--
Felicia Value