[WSBAPT] Notice to Known Creditors in Estate w/o Non-Intervention Powers

Felicia Value felicia at skagitprobate.com
Thu Feb 22 11:22:25 PST 2018

I agree with Eric's approach described below.

Here's how I look at it:  If I do any work beyond the statutory
requirement to make things easier for a creditor,  I'm working against
the interests of my client.  And I'll wind up either charging my client
for the time I spent helping out a party with interests adverse to my
client's interest (which is not OK),  or I'll work for free for the
creditor (which is not OK).

Regards,

Felicia Value
Attorney at Law
PO Box 578/116 N. Third
La Conner,  WA 98257
(360) 466-2088
Felicia at skagitprobate.com

On 2/22/2018 10:56 AM, Eric Nelsen wrote:

> I tend to be draconian on this point and generally never supply
> additional information to a creditor. And I agree, the deadline to
> file a creditor claim is not tolled so long as the statutory notice
> has been provided.
>
> My attitude is, if an organization is big enough that it can't track
> its relationship with the decedent, then it deserves no accommodation
> beyond what is statutorily required. That is how the process works,
> and for big organizations it's only money as far as they are
> concerned. If they can't be bothered to track matters sufficient to
> protect their legal interest, I am not bothered by allowing the
> statutory process to bar their debt.
>
> Obviously this never happens with small business creditors, personal
> loans from friends and family members, etc. Because they know the
> decedent and they have no confusion about who has died. It's only
> banks, credit cards, collection agencies, and the like who end up
> barred in these circumstances.
>
> In terms of the PR's duties, I think the PR's duty is to provide the
> statutory notice and no more. There is no duty to provide more
> information to a creditor.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Eric
>
> Eric C. Nelsen