[WSBAPT] First Wife (Deceased) Still on Title

Nicholas Pleasants nick at pleasantslaw.com
Mon Feb 12 17:55:49 PST 2018

I’ll resend this chart that I use to consider whether doing a simple Lack of Probate Affidavit will work (I got it from the listserv maybe 6 months ago, and find it really helpful, although I can’t vouch for its accuracy – it’s just a guide). There are several questions you need to address – did the first wife have a Will? Were there kids of the first marriage that might potentially challenge heirs of the second marriage? What is the plan going forward for the heirs – sell the house now, or try to keep it in the family? You may also consider talking with a Title Officer to get their perspective. However, I think in the situation with a prior marriage, it would be wise to go through a double-probate (for first wife and then husband) and send notice to everyone who could potentially be an heir of the first wife to avoid any potential future challenges.

Best,
Nick

Nicholas Pleasants
James Pleasants, P.C.
2300 130th Ave NE, Suite A-101
Bellevue, WA 98005-1755
(425) 615-7070 tel.
(425) 497-0799 fax
nick at pleasantslaw.com<mailto:nick at pleasantslaw.com>
The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and is confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient, or any employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient. Any unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original message and all attachments from your electronic files.