[WSBAPT] Custodianship for Insurance Proceeds?

Douglas Bratt djbratt at mbavancouverlaw.com
Thu Feb 1 10:59:21 PST 2018

Hello:

I agree with Marcus.

I had a somewhat similar case about three or four years ago.

Facts:  Divorced couple.  Father had named kids as beneficiaries on life insurance.  (But the difference was that there was no requirement in the Decree of Dissolution that he HAD to provide the insurance.)

We looked at the situation and the only reasonable alternative was a Guardianship of the Estates of the three children.  [Among other things, that was the only way to get the insurance proceeds paid out by the insurance company, as the kids were the named beneficiaries.) But we were able to get mom reimbursed for some expenses from the proceeds that related not only to the funeral (there were no other relatives of the Decedent willing to pay for funeral and there was no other money to pay for funeral, so mother funded it, later asking the court for reimbursement on the basis that the kids really needed a burial plot as part of their adjustment to life without dad, particularly given the fact that his death was by suicide), but also related to “special” expenses over and above what Social Security for the kids was able to pay for.]

And, that is the additional point:  I predict that Social Security will be paying the mom upwards of $2,000 to $3,000 per month for the kids, if the Decedent was earning decent money (which I suspect he was, if he was required to provide that much insurance to cover child support).  I cannot see the court considering it reasonable for mom to get another $3,000 per month out of the life insurance proceeds, and the monitoring involved in a Guardianship would protect the funds for the kids, while still allowing for application to be made for special expenses, as in my case.

Just my thoughts given my similar case.

Best Regards,

Doug Bratt

Douglas J. Bratt
Lawyer

[Envelope scaled Terry]

Office: (360) 213-2040
 Fax: (360) 213-2030

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email message may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you have received this message by mistake, please do not review, disclose, copy, or distribute the email. Instead, please notify us immediately by replying to this message or telephoning us.  Thank you.